In the summer of 2021, Logansport Municipal Utilities began demolition of the former water treatment plant, located at 1100 Riverside Drive, and the electric generating plant, located at 800 Race Street.
Along with the two facilities, the coal conveyor running across the Eel River, the defunct water tower and former coal building on the north side of the river were also demolished.
In October 2021, Logansport Utilities also began the process of removing two historic low-head dams (weirs) on the Eel River. Neither dam was in use.
The 10th Street dam was first built in 1854 and completed in 1857 for the Logansport Waterworks and Electric Company. The smaller dam located downstream was constructed in 1835.
The power plant generated electricity from 1895 to 2016. Logansport Utilities now distributes electricity from NextEra Energy, Inc. after it was deemed too inefficient and costly to continue producing electricity. In 1914, water was provided to the Logansport community with a filter plant built next to the electric generating plant. The system was improved in 1954 when the water treatment plant was built. This plant treated water from the Eel River. It was decommissioned in late 2013 due to the plant being outdated. The city’s water is now provided from a well field distribution system.